Millions of people in the United States do not receive proper dental care because of various barriers limiting their access to dentists, according to a new report.
Economic, cultural, geographic and structural factors all play a part in this issue, according to a report by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. More than 3 million people live in places where there are not enough dentists.
Those who forgo adequate dental care place themselves in a higher risk category for diabetes, respiratory illness and cardiovascular disease.
All employers or individuals planning to add dental care to their benefits should know why this type of care is essential. Here are the top seven benefits of regular dental care.
1. It prevents oral cancer. According to the Oral Cancer Foundation, one person per hour dies because of oral cancer. When caught early by a dentist, it is easy to cure.
2. It prevents gum disease. Regular cleanings and checkups at the dentist prevent gum disease. This type of disease attacks gum tissues and the supporting bones that keep teeth in. When left untreated, it leads to tooth loss.
3. It improves overall health. With a heightened risk of heart attack related to gum disease, regular checkups are essential to maintain overall health.
4. It keeps teeth in place. Dentures are a lifelong hassle for most people who have them. To prevent possible tooth loss, it is important to have regular checkups and cleanings. It is also important to practice good hygiene. If regular care is necessary, a treatment plan can be made and followed.
5. It prevents bad breath. Regular checkups help prevent bad breath, which is called halitosis. Dental researchers say that about 85% of people with halitosis could prevent it with better dental care.
6. It keeps a smile whiter. People who take pride in their bright white smiles can maintain them easily with regular dental care. Leaving a smile without whitening treatments for a longer amount of time makes it harder to get back to a bright white look.
7. It helps detect serious problems earlier. Dentists can detect more than just cavities and gum disease during checkups. They can also detect heart disease and stroke risks early. Since dental care is inexpensive in comparison with other types of tests used to detect these serious risks, it is a wise decision to have regular checkups.
Another benefit of regular checkups is using dental plan benefits. If they are being paid for every month, it is a smart idea to make use of them.
Most plans cover regular checkups, cleanings and x-rays. Root-planing, scaling, fillings, crowns and other items are reduced in price. However, the free regular cleanings and checkups help prevent the need for crowns, scaling and fillings.
People who do not have employer-sponsored dental plans can purchase plans on their own. If these are not affordable, there are also discount plans that cover a variety of treatments and procedures.
To learn more about good dental plans, call us today.
501 Bell St.
Dubuque, IA 52001
Phone: (563) 556-0272
An AssuredPartners Agency
In February 2020, The Friedman Group joined AssuredPartners, the 11th largest insurance brokerage in the U.S. This partnership provides us access to additional capital and a national footprint that enables us to continue to negotiate the most favorable coverage terms and conditions for our clients, and allows us to provide an even broader spectrum of risk management support services.